Monday, May 18, 2009

A little poem

Little soul little stray
little drifter
now where will you stay
all pale and all alone
after the way
you used to make fun of things

Today I stumbled upon this lovely little poem, written by the Roman Emperor Hadrian. It's very sad, and seems to describe that sense of abandonment we all feel sometimes. As if we are all alone. As if we are small, astray and drifting. As if we are pale, alone, and ashamed of our erstwhile gaity and lightness of spirit. And who or what has kicked us out, as it were into our current exile? The author doesn't say.

Who hasn't felt this way? Before I sat with my higher self and surveyed my lives, I often felt this way. DIscovering that my life today is part of a greater pattern, an ongoing unfolding, and that my soul is never consumed in the fires of life and death, has given me courage to live.

And yes, make fun of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment